Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Nike Magista Obra FG – Review


By Ian Ennis
– Over the years, I have had many Nike cleats. I have always been a big fan of the Nike line ever since I got my first pair of Tiempos when I was little. Throughout the years, every cleat I have owned has had superior quality and touch like no other boot. Needless to say, I was very excited when my Magistas finally showed up at my front door.

Nike Magista Obra FG (Hyper Turquoise/White/Laser Orange)
I knew from teammates that these cleats were supposed to be up there with the best available, so I couldn’t wait to put them on. The first thing I noticed when I took them out of the box was their flashy neon blue color as well as the interesting patterns on the shoes themselves. Just by looking at them, I could tell they were made for comfort and touch by the way they were shaped.

The cleats were made using Nike’s Flyknit technology, which is built to act as a second skin for the ultimate touch. It felt as if I wasn’t wearing a cleat at all when I struck the ball. The pattern on the side and front has a spectrum of yellow to orange ovals, which I have never seen before, but definitely like.
The biggest difference between other Nike cleats I have owned and the Magistas is the lack of a tongue for the laces as well as the ankle sock, or Dynamic Fit collar, attached to the top of the cleat.
At first, I was admittedly skeptical if all the hype was true and the changes actually made the cleat better. After trying them on and playing in a few games, I am a huge supporter of the new changes.

The ankle sock acts as not only a support, but also it is there to help make movement of your ankle and foot as seamless as possible. Other cleats are lower cut on the sides and can prevent certain ankle rotations that are necessary for striking the ball. This is no longer a problem with the Magistas. With the added bonus of not having an annoying tongue poking you with every change in direction, the Magistas have the ultimate “feels like you’re playing with no shoe at all” mentality.

The cleats felt so natural; there was no worry of blisters or any discomfort whatsoever. I could see the Nike Magistas being worn by any position on the field. They are light (7.2 ounces), efficient, and extremely comfortable. They can be used for scoring just as much as they could be used for making a goal saving block.

The cleats performed well when I played in some games. The studs kept good traction and acceleration was easy. Their touch, comfort, striking, everything was perfect. The Magistas did not show any sign of damage after the first couple of times using them. They were basically molded to my foot by the 3rd or 4th wear, which was something I had never experienced before, but appreciated. It only took a few touches on the ball to feel comfortable with them, so it would only take a game or 2 to be totally broken in.


The Magiastas are some of the best cleats I have reviewed. These will definitely be my first choice cleats for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment